About Us

Community and Surrounding area.

Our community includes the villages of Cwmbach, Blaenwaun, Cwmfelin Mynach together with Llanwinio and part of Gelliwen. It is a rural community which lies about 7 miles north of St Clears and 8 miles north east of Whitland in the County of Carmarthenshire. The community is approximately 16 miles from the County Town of Carmarthen.

In 1844 its population was 1035. By the time of the 2011 Census, the population had declined to only 448. Of the 448, 317 were aged over 16 . 173 aged 16- to 65 and 144 aged 65+. The number of males being 225 and females 223.

The census identified 259 as speaking welsh, 247 as reading welsh and 228 writing through the medium of welsh.

The 1844 census showed that there were 260 houses for the population in 2011 the number of properties had reduced to 161.

The 1844 census showed that employment was chiefly in agriculture. The 2011 census showed that 236 people were employed, with only 67 being employed in agriculture - 40 males and 27 females.
The parish church, dedicated to St. Gwynno, had been completely rebuilt around 1844

It's not obvious from the photos, but the burial ground surrounding the church is circular. Llanwinio is remarkable as it is one of the few remaining circular burial grounds in Britain, dating back to Celtic times. The Celts believed that the circle gave immortality to those buried within and that the burial ground being raised up above ground level would keep the dead dry.

A war memorial stands in Llanwinio to commemorate three soldiers from the local area who died in the 1st world war.

The Community Hall is situated in Llanwinio.

The Hall/kitchen is available for private bookings e.g. birthday parties, christenings etc. There is no charge for residents of Llanwinio parish but donations are welcome.

The Hall/kitchen can also be hired by people/organisations outside the parish. However, a charge will be levied for these events. For further information please contact: Mr T C Henry, tel 01994484239
Blaenwaun is a small village about 7 miles from St Clears. Situated in the village is the only Public House within the Llanwinio Community Council area.

Blaenwaun was the home to the Wales's smallest post office. The Post Office, which measured just 5m long by 2.9m wide.

In the early 1960s, the business was relocated to a new premises in Blaenwaun. The old Post Office stood empty from that time until it was offered to National Folk Museum in 1991.

In 1992 Wales's smallest post office was delivered to National Folk Museum. It can be visited today at St Fagans National History Museum in the 'village' section of the open-air museum, near the bakery and the tailor's shop. It has been refurbished to its war-time appearance, and represents a period of Welsh history not covered in any of the Museum's other buildings.

Village post offices have played an important role in community life throughout Wales for the past 90 years. By the 1950s, virtually every village had its own branch, from which mail was distributed, parcels were collected and people gathered to catch up on all the local news. Sadly now there are no post offices in the Llanwinio area. However, the mobile post office van visits Blaenwaun once a week.

Blaenwaun hosts the only playing field in the Llanwinio area.

Moriah Chapel built pre 1828 is situated in Blaenwaun.
Blaenwaun PhotoCwmbach is a small village, 2 miles from Llanwinio. The river Sien flows through the village.

The village now consists of detached houses, a Chapel and the old school.

The Chapel - Capel Y Graig is a Methodist Chapel, first built in 1756 and then extended in 1774, renovated in 1808 and 1828. The chapel does not have its own grave yard but uses the grave yard at the Church in Llanwinio.

The school in Cwmbach opened in 1867 and closed in July 2003. At the beginning of the 20th Century over 100 children attended the school. The children would walk or ride their horse to school.

The classrooms were upstairs and the horses were kept in the stables underneath. When the school closed in 2003 the numbers of pupils had dropped to 12.
Cwmfelin Mynach
Cwmfelin Mynach is a small village. It has a population of only 64 residents.

The river Gronw runs through the centre of the village under a stone bridge. In the medieval period the river was used to drive a corn mill. 'Cwmfelin Mynach' means Valley (cwm) of the Monks' (Mynach) Mill (Felin). It was founded in the 6th century by the Cistercian monks or Whitefriars. These monks gave their name to the nearby town, Whitland.

Ramoth Chapel in Cwmfelin Mynach built in 1775, holds weekly services.